Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Crayon Jesus


In Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 follows Montag, the owner of one of the last Bibles known to man kind. During a conversation with Faber, his trusted side kick, the readers discover that Jesus has been mad into the Billy Mays of the future. Faber says, "I often wonder if God recognized His own son the way we've dressed him up, or is it dressed him down?" This is us, and that is our Jesus. With all the things like The Blaze and 3:20 held through Hillcrest students, it's like this house of the Lord is used to go and socialize with your friend you haven't seen since second block. Christians have lost the Jesus part of church. The Jesus part of Christmas. The Jesus part of life. It's like everyone is handing their kids a Jesus coloring book and a box of crayons and saying, "Color in the lines, son, color in the lines!" What is happening when they color inside those lines? They are putting this marketed figured of Jesus in their minds. The white and blue robes, the brown hair, the smile. You can't color Jesus on a piece of paper. It isn't possible. Because Jesus isn't colorable. His lines are ever-changing, so that he can guide us through our lives. How I imagine my Jesus is different than the way everyone else imagines Him. My Jesus can't be colored by anyone, not even me. Because my Jesus lives within my heart and soul, and He shows himself in different ways everyday.

1 comment:

  1. I get what you're saying and I think you're right.

    There's a quote from something I've seen or read...something like "I know all of you were taught in your Sunday schools to believe that Jesus was this sorta whispy character with a robe and a beard, but you're wrong. Jesus was the most ruthless of men."

    People don't seem to take him seriously. I don't really call myself a christian, but it still offends me when people try to make him so....CLEAN, you know?

    ReplyDelete