Sunday, February 1, 2009

Goodbye, Love

I stood alone at his grave as the rain poured down over his casket. My tears were now invisible, hidden in the rain. I stood alone looking at the new dirt and tombstone. My black dress clinged to my waist and mascara blackened my face.
The thunder was violet and loud. I streched my arms out from my sides and raised my head to the heavens. The rain drops hit my face as I closed my etes to go back to a better time...

It was a hot, July day and I was seventeen. A few of my friends and I had snuck into the Around the Clock Cafe for a few drinks.
There was a band playing on the stage that no one was paying attention to. But in the midst of a guitar solo, the guitarist caught me eye. The neon lights were glowing across the stage highlighting his sharp jaw line. He kept the solo going, but it went from a hard, rock solo to a solf, calm luliby.
He stopped. the band looked at him confused but followed his lead. Silence fell over the but no one seemed to notice but me.
Two years later, engaged and in college, I watched him die. I'll never forget the way his voice sounded as he said "I love you" and took my hand as God took his life.

4 comments: