Friday, April 24, 2009

Dancer or Disciple?


Ms. E's Creative Writing Two, Third block: The place where dances are made. We have Dani's signature dance move: The Kayak; We have MCat's signature move: The Shopping Cart; We have Kelly/mine/Kacie's signature move: The Helen Keller; We have my new move, too: The Broken Tree Branch. =] The greatest thing about it is, we are FREE to dance.


Dancing has always been apart of my life because everyday when I am sitting at my computer, doing absolutely nothing, I stare at the picture hanging on the wall in front of me. It's a picture of Jesus and Peter dancing on water. Why? Because my mom's friend painted it for her because of a dream my mother had one night.

In her dream, she witnesses Jesus and Peter out on the water. She says that in her dream, when Jesus called Peter out to walk on the water, Peter went, but after he sinks and Jesus asks, "Oh, ye of little faith, why do you doubt me?" ((That is my favorite Bible verse; it has gotten me through fifteen, almost sixteen years of my life)) he stands up and doesn't walk back to the boat with Jesus. No, he dances back to that boat! This isn't some Walk-A-Thon! This is a celebration for He is God's LIVING Son and he still takes our hands and pulls us up from the waves.

Peter is by far my favorite disciple. Because in those verses ((Matthew 14: 25-36)) Jesus doesn't call just Peter to come out. Peter said, "Sir, if it is really you, tell me to come over to you, walking on the water." Of course, Jesus did. He said, "All right, come along." He didn't say, "Okay, Peter, bring it," he simple said to come. ANY disciple could have come out and walked on that water, but Peter was the only one who went. Peter had enough faith to step out of the boat, even though he sank, he went.

So, should we sit back in the boat and watch? Or should we be the ones to step out of the boat? Step out of the boat and be a Peter.


This blog is dedicated to my wonderful mother who has shown me all the ways to be a good woman and Christian.

4 comments:

  1. I love it. You're an incredibly talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so made up the broken tree branch.
    But I love the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One question: Are you saying all aspects of our lives should be lived like this? Or just certain ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter has always been the one I love and sometimes identify with...sometimes wish I could be more like...and dancing...why I do it every day with every move! And to me, Alex, I think all aspects of our lives should be lived like this...stepping out of the boat...being a lion chaser.

    ReplyDelete